- Botulinum toxin (BoNT), also known as Botox, is commonly used for therapeutic purposes. It has been approved by regulatory agencies in many countries for the treatment of several medical conditions, such as chronic migraines, muscle spasms, strabismus, and urinary incontinence.
- BoNT for clinical use is produced in Clostridium botulinum. The production process is characterized by low yields.
- Expression of BoNT in a recombinant host is not feasible since the toxin should be activated through specific nicking by an unknown endogenous protease.
- We have recently discovered a new process for production of recombinant BoNT with natural sequence that will be activated and pure and produce the BoNT at high yield.
- Our technology facilitates high yields of active botulinum toxin without accessory proteins, using recombinant DNA technology and using the natural activating protease, which we discovered recently.
- Our technology provides an active recombinant botulinum toxin with natural sequence.
- Broad application: botulinum toxin is used to treat numerous clinical indications and has high demand in the cosmetic field as well.
We are seeking collaboration with Botulinum toxin producers (Allergan, Ipsen, etc.) and other pharma or cosmetic companies interested in entering the field.